Monday, July 19, 2010

Bungles - Cathedral Gorge - Monday 21st June


Unlike poor Diane & Bill, our tour group had a 33C day for our walk through Cathedral Gorge which we did first thing walking in by 8:30am when the temps were wonderful and the other groups just going in as we came out. By this time, I had confidence that I could do just about any walk that came my way.


Yes, the end wall of this walk is like the walls of a cathedral, but more, I found the hushed awe that arose in me to be akin to a religious emotion. It was an awe-inspiring landscape. Many of the flowers were discovered in the 'foothills' of this walk.


There had been late May rains across the Kimberleys, the grass was green and the puddles still full. Glorious reflections!

And look at the termite mounds winding their way up the domes. Pesky little blighters! Wait till you see the mounds in the Litchfield NP just outside Darwin.

Thanks to Peter for this shot of yours truly, after the Cathedral Gorge walk.


I have already prepared two posts on Sydney Eye about the Bungle Bungles day.

Here is the post about the helicopter ride.

Here is the post about the reflections in Cathedral Gorge and more widely in the Kimberleys.

9 comments:

diane b said...

You describe the sensation inside the cathedral very well. We were pleased with how cool it was in there. You look great with the Bungle backdrop. We were late getting there as the driver had to fix the bus or maybe we did the helicopter ride first...can't remember.The grass is taller and more puddles than when we were there. One magic place.

Julie said...

The only hassle we had with our bus was just as we went into El Questro when one of the aircon units gave up the ghost. The afternoon of the next day was a 'spare' arvo so the driver (Mike) had to drive into Kununurra to get it fixed. Did not inconvenience us at all for which we have Mike to thank!

Magical sums it up. I would like my kids to do a tour akin to this. To stand in these places and experience these emotions. Kimberley and the Red Centre. Probably more to come I suspect. They are just the ones I know abut now.

Next Aug/Sept = Cape York.

Ann said...

The Kimberley is one of my favourite places in this country - absolutely amazing. Did you get up to Mitchell Falls? Stinking hot the day we walked Cathedral Gorge but when we got there there was a couple with the most beautiful voices, singing. Looks like you handled the walking pretty well.

I took a heavy tumble on the way home last night and am now aching all over and walking with a stick to try and take pressure of my foot which I hope is just bruised. Its not swollen and I can still walk so assuming its nothing too serious. Just hope it improves by Saturday.

Ann said...

PS Cape York is very much on my to do list. Have found one that goes road one way and cargo ship the other. Looks very much my sort of thing. Trouble is there is too much that I want to do and not enough time or money. Still hope to do Lebanon/Syria/Jordan next Sept/Oct if they stay peaceful. Then of course there is my dream trip of Antarctica, Tierra del Fuego and Iguazzu Falls which I am determined to do but will probably be my retirement trip.

I'm looking forward to getting out into the desert, these areas will all be new to me.

Julie said...

Annoying about the tumble. Fingers crossed ...

I am not as adventurous as you, and my Travel Insurance has 'clipped wings'. The adventure trips I plan are all in Australis - Cape York, Ningaloo, Kangaroo Island, Cradle Mt/Pedder. I also want to do NZ an Vietnam. Further afield, I want to travel the UK then Spain. But my staple will always be France/Italy.

Ann said...

If you get to Italy, I can put you in touch with my girlfriend in Catania in Sicily. Won't bother with the rellies is Florence - nice people but they don't speak English.

Wolynski said...

Amazing place. Never been to Australia, but it looks wonderful.

Joan Elizabeth said...

You are looking very fit in that shot. Interesting reading your travel plans. Mine are to drive to lots more places in Australia ... not too far afield until we do the R word. And to do long train rides through interesting places.

Julie said...

I have to reach out to the longer distances now, and then retract as I age, etc.

I would do the driving thing too, except not allowed any more. The training I will consider, however, need to be careful who sits next to me. Don't want a chatterer ... etc ...